Diabetic drivers who use insulin can be fined up to £1000 if they fail to tell DVLA this

Whether you have a car, motorbike, bus, coach or lorry licence, if your diabetes is treated by insulin they must tell the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland). 

Failing to do so will result in a £1,000 fine, and if you become involved in an accident you may even be prosecuted. 

The measures have been put in place to ensure drivers’ safety on the roads. 

But what happens once you inform DVLA of your condition? 

Car or motorbike licence

If you have a car or motorbike licence, you fall under the Group 1 driver category, and your licence will be renewed every one, two or three years. 

Any changes to your condition or treatment between each licence renewal should be reported. 

Drivers who are under medical supervision by a doctor and are only using insulin for a temporary period (less than three months) do not need to notify DVLA. 

The same applies for women with gestational diabetes less than three months after delivery. 

If you are diabetic but not on insulin medication you do not need to let DVLA know. 

The only times you would are are listed by Diabetes UK: 

  • If you have had two episodes of severe hypoglycaemia within the last 12 months (where you ere completely dependent on another person to treat your hypo). 
  • You develop impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia (where you are unable to recognise the hypo when it starts). 
  • You experience a disabling hypo while driving. 
  • You have other medical conditions or changes to existing medical conditions which could affect your ability to drive safely. Examples are problems with vision (e.g. laser treatment/injections), circulation, or sensation (e.g. peripheral neuropathy). 

Bus, coach or lorry licence 

Similarly if you have a bus, coach or lorry licence and your diabetes is treated by diet you do not need to tell DVLA. 

But if you have insulin treatment you will undergo an independent medical assessment every year. 

You should also monitor your blood glucose levels regularly and store results on a memory meter. 

You will also need to provide three months of continuous meter readings at your assessment. 

Any changes to your condition should be reported. 

The Diabetes UK website offers advice on what to do when it comes to your motor insurance and how to stay safe on the road. 

To report your condition and fill out the necessary forms, visit Gov.UK. 

A new skin patch could end the misery of dialy insulin injections. 

from http://www.protein-barscheap.info
via http://www.protein-barscheap.info/search/label/Daily-Express-Health